- Make the pickle brine two days before. Peel the ginger, and then blend together with the garlic and chilli flakes. Add to a saucepan with all other ingredients, and put on a medium heat until it comes to a rolling boil. Take off the heat and allow 24 hours to cool completely. Grate 1/2 head of red cabbage, add to the cooled brine and place in fridge. Use from 24 hours up until 2 weeks, for a richer more flavor layered pickle.
- Marinade the chicken for 24 hours, before skewering and grilling. Soak skewers for 40 minutes beforehand to avoid burning (if wooden).
- For the dressing, peel all the ginger, and blend together the ginger and garlic with the mirin until it turns into a paste. Add the other ingredients. This can be prepared a day before serving to infuse with greater flavour.
- Grate the carrots and cabbage, and dress with dressing and toasted sesame seeds 15 minutes before serving to allow to marinate and take on the fresh flavours of the dressing.
- In a blender, blend coriander, garlic, vinegar, and water. Slowly add olive oil. Tip into a bowl and add salt and chilli flakes to taste before giving this a good mix.
- Grill the chicken skewers on a hot charcoal grill for 6 minutes each side, or until cooked through, or alternatively in an electric grill oven at 180 degrees celsius, for five minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Serve the chicken skewers over a bed of the refreshing slaw, with the pickles and coriander sauce on the side for a perfect, healthy, delicious summer lunch with friends.
In collaboration with Rainbo.