- 5 sausages
- 3 tbsp oats
- 2 tbsp allspice
- Plain flour for dusting
- 3 cherry tomatoes, halved horizontally
- 2 Maris Piper potatoes, cut into thick chips and soaked in cold water
- Vegetable oil, for deep fat frying
- Sarson’s Malt Vinegar, plus extra for dressing
- 2 eggs
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Push the sausage meat out the sausage skins and into a large mixing bowl. Add the oats, allspice and season with pepper, then mix thoroughly. Dust your hands and a clean surface with flour, then divide the mixture into four balls. Place each on the floured surface and shape into thick squares. Place on a plate and chill for 20 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 140C/gas 1 and a griddle pan or grill. Grill the sausage cakes for 2-3 mins on each side, until golden and cooked through, then add the tomatoes half way through the cooking time. Transfer to the oven to keep warm.
- Drain and dry the chips with kitchen paper. In a large saucepan, pour the vegetable oil one-third of the way up and heat to around 180C (add a small piece of a chip and if it sizzles, the oil is ready). Fry the chips in small batches for 7-8 mins, or until golden, and then drain on a plate lined with kitchen roll.
- Meanwhile, poach your eggs in your preferred way or by keeping some boiled water, with a dash of Sarson’s vinegar, just below a running boil and cracking the eggs into the water. Cook for 2-3 mins, or until your liking. Serve with the tomatoes, sausage cakes and chips, dressed with Sarson’s vinegar and salt.